Respected Wissam Abdul-Baki has been the Imam of our masjid since 1997. These questions and his answers may help to introduce him and his mission at ISWM. Please feel free to ask him any religious question. He is always available to meet in person. Send a message to make an appointment or come to see him at the masjid, especially during the prayer times. Where were you born and raised? Lebanese American whose family had migrated four generation ago to Midwest, U.S. Where and what was your early and later education? 2013: American Interglobal University, Alexandria, VA Doctorate Degree in the Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence Concentration: New religious Jurisdiction Problems Facing Muslims in North America 2009: American Interglobal University, Alexandria, VA Masters in Islamic Jurisprudence Concentration: Islamic law and its Influence in Muslim Life 1986: Islamic university of Medina, Saudi Arabia B.A. in Arabic Language Concentration: Islamic Law and Arabic Language Instruction 1982: Islamic University of Medina, Saudi Arabia High school 1981: Azahr Institution of Lebanon, Beirut Alim Course What is your service history? 1997 onwards: Imam of the Islamic Society of Western Massachusetts 377 Amostown Road, West Springfield, MA 01089 2012-2014: Pearson Arabic Scorer The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Department of Elementary and Secondary Education 2014: Professor Cooperative/Instructor, American Interglobal University, Alexandria, VA 1992-1997: Imam of The Islamic Society of Caracas Caracas, Venezuela 1991-1992: Imam of the Islamic society of La Paz La Paz, Bolivia 1980-1991: Imam of the Islamic Society of Peru Lima, Peru 1986-1988: Imam of Al-Masjid Al-Umary, Jib Janine, Biqa, Lebanon What are your responsibilities and contributions to your community?
- Imam for the largest Muslim community in the Western Massachusetts
- Friday (Juma’h) sermons.
- Counselor for families and individuals.
- Teacher of adult Arabic language and Islamic education classes including tajweed, or Quranic recitation, memorization of Qur’an, facilitation of the halaqa, or Circle of Islamic Study.
- Planned and implemented women’s classes for the study of Islam, Qur’an and law.
- Planned and implemented activities for teens and youths.
- Interfaith speaker
- Quranic recitation at community dinners and events throughout the area
- Guest Imam and speaker/lecturer at various area Muslim events and interfaith programs
- Developed Islamic curriculum for Islamic Sunday School
- Recruit and hiring of teachers for Islamic Sunday School
- Aid in the organization, development and implementation of Summer School
- Co-founder and advisor to Iqra Academy
- Advisor to and ex officio member of the Board of Directors of ISWM
- Founder of Muslim Community Association (MCA)
- Member, Professional Consultation Committee (PCC) of Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, MA
- Volunteer Chaplain at Baystate Medical Center and Mercy Medical Center, Springfield, MA
- Founder of the radio program “Paginas de Luz” (Pages of Light)
- Speaker at the International Day of Comparative Law at the University of Carabobo, Venezuela, 1992
- Co-founded the Islamic center in La Paz
- Co-founded the beautiful Islamic Center of Peru
- Co-founded the Islamic summer school and High School teacher of Islamic Education, Public school of Jib Janine, Beqa’ Valley, Lebanon, 1987.
- Co-founded The Aazhar Boy Scouts, 1980
What languages you speak? Arabic, Spanish and English What are your specializations in Islamic studies?
- Doctorate Degree in the Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence
- Masters in Islamic Jurisprudence
- Islamic university of Medina, Saudi Arabia
- B.A. in Arabic Language and Islamic Law
- Alim Course, Azahr institution of Lebanon, Beirut
What are you passionate about? Fighting Ignorance, Poverty and diseases What are your major concerns? Peace and Justice. What do you like to do most? Good faith and good health Where do you live? West Springfield, Mass What is your mission? My Mission as an Imam is to:
- Provide spiritual guidance
- Serve my mosque
- Heal the wounds
- Bring the hearts closer together
- Visit the sick and pray for them
- Uplift the distressed
- Be there for every one
- Stay away from parties
What are your interests other than your work? Skating, Horseback riding, discovering, learning, and traveling. What is your message to somebody reading your bio? “Love the one whom you love to a certain degree (moderately), perhaps one day he will be someone for whom you have hatred, and hate the one for whom you have hatred to a certain degree (moderately), perhaps one day he will be one whom you love.”