….“They tortured people in front of me so I would tell on my brother,” said Yara, who said she believed she was spared physical abuse because another relative is a high-ranking military official…more:Ft
- Syrian doctor Hamza al-Kateab: ‘We had a joke that you were safer living on the front-line – it was never targeted but hospitals were’
We speak to Dr Hamza al-Kateab, who ran a hospital in Aleppo during the bombardment of the city.
Far-right protesters were tricked into wearing t-shirts reading “St George was Syrian #DefendDiversity” this weekend. The clothing’s message was heat-activated, only becoming visible when worn. Anti-hate crime group Tell MAMA gave out 100 tops, offering “free St George’s cross” to people attending nationalist demonstrations over the Easter weekend.
….the next nightmare was downstairs. It was September 2016, the third month the city was under siege by the Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s forces, and more children were dead. Al-Kateab, a citizen journalist and activist who began documenting the horrors unfolding in rebel-held Aleppo in 2011, filmed a mother who has just lost her son in the latest round of bombings. Carrying the corpse of her dead child, the mother repeatedly tells anyone who will listen, “This is my son. My darling is dead. He is dead.”…more: washingtonpost.
Last month, Layla Shweikani’s parents received the news they had been dreading for two years. Their daughter, a 26-year-old Chicago native, had died in Syria.
Shweikani travelled to the country in September 2015 to help people affected by the war raging there, but was arrested by Syrian authorities just six months after her arrival and charged with terrorism offences….MORE:.independent.co.uk
The Assassination of Raed Fares, and the Day the Syrian Revolution Died more: THE NEW YORKER
- The Tragicomedy continuing without stopping :”Syrian torture victims recall horrors in regime prisons: “Thousand of survivors have been treated by MSF in the last year” (thenational).
- “END THE HORROR IN SYRIA’S TORTURE PRISONS” ( amnesty.org).
- The only thing is allowed is Drawing Pain: “Haunted by Memories of Syrian Torture, Saved by Art” (nytimes).
- Justice will prevail: Almighty God..: “Do not think that Allah is unaware of what these unjust people are doing; He is only deferring their case to the Day when all eyes shall stare with consternation.” (The Qur’an)